If you reserved a kit and used certain non-English characters in the Name field, your reservation may have been lost. Letters with umlauts seem to be fine, the letter Ø definitely causes problems. I found a workaround, so it works now, but I’m afraid there’s no way to find and resurrect the lost reservations. I’m not sure where the bug is, in WordPress or somewhere in the email system.
I sent confirmation emails for all reservations made on or before 7 November. If you made a reservation before that date, and have not yet received a confirmation email, please do it again. Please note in the comments that it’s a duplicate, and the approximate date of the first reservation, so that I can insert it at the right place in the queue.