EShapeoko 1.4 Assembly: Prep Work
Check the metal plates for burrs, droplets of metal, or spalsh marks. Scrape them off if possible, or file them off if necessary.
Tap all the following holes M5 × 0.8 mm (standard M5 thread):
- Tap both holes at each end of each piece of MakerSlide, except the Z rail (a 250 mm piece), which needs only the holes at one end tapped. Brush chips away and wipe the rail clean, to prevent damage to the V-wheels. Do not tap the standard T-slot aluminium extrusion (the standard T-slot profile is symmetrical, and has six slots; MakerSlide has only five slots, and has protruding V rails on two edges).
- In the three belt tensioners in Pack 11, tap the hole that's not part of a pair. For alternate motor and belt placements, you may need to tap all three holes in each tensioner.
- Tap the two holes on either side of the central hole of the Z motor mount plate in Pack 10.
(TO DO: add images for LBT1 and LZP2/LZP3 holes.)
Mark the side of each eccentric spacer that is nearest to the hole. Colour it with a permanent marker or with a tiny dab of paint. The wheel will be offset in the marked direction.
Drill the X MakerSlide for the screws that hold the two rails together.
Lay the MakerSlide flat, Vs up, and drill 3 mm (or slightly larger) holes into the bottom of the T-slot, through the core. The slot has a fine groove on the bottom to help center the drill bit. The positioning of the holes along the MakerSlide is not critical. Drill both X pieces of MakerSlide the same way.
Depending on the length of the X MakerSlide, drill as follows:
- 375 mm: drill two holes every 125 mm;
- 500 mm: drill three holes every 125 mm;
- 750 mm: drill four holes every 150 mm;
- 1000 mm: drill six holes every 143 mm.